It’s a shame I had these peaches sitting on my kitchen counter this long, but I’m really not its biggest fan of the raw fruit. *I'm sure there is a sque of gasp heard all over globe right now, especially in the South J, but I don’t dislike it all the way, I just don’t like the plain fruit. It has to be made into something; pies, cobblers, ice cream etc.
Hands down I do love a good peach cobbler, the smell when the juices evaporate and marry into the sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Watching it come together, I drool as the vanilla ice cream melt in slow motion into the warm, bubbliness of the perfectly cooked peaches, mmm mmm mmm. I know you want a spoon J
2 cups peeled, sliced peaches
1 cups sugar, divided
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
¾ cup self-rising flour
¾ cups milk
a dash Nutmeg
Ground cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the peaches, ½ cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.
- Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping.
- Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir.
- Spoon fruit on top, gently pouring in syrup.
- Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon or nutmeg, if using any.
- Batter will rise to top during baking.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.