Mmm pone. A delectable childhood memory. It's a cross between pudding and cake and a halleluah with every bite. Pones are made from root vegetables, cassava (yuca) sweet potato, carrots or pumpkin.
Cassava is excessively dry when in its raw state, once baked it melts and it becomes a wonderful tasti treat.
4 cups grated cassava
1 cup grated coconut (or dry flakes)
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground all spice
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoon melted butter
1 cup milk
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup seedless raisins (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
2. Grate the cassava, the coconut, and spices, etc.
3. Mix together the cassava, coconut, sugar, raisins, spice and nutmeg.
4. Cut in the butter until melted.
5. Stir in the milk.6. Add baking powder, vanilla essence, clove, and the raisins and Mix well.
7. Pour into a well greased 9” × 9” (23cm × 23cm) loaf pan.
8. Bake for 1 hour in a moderate oven or until crisp and brown.
9. Cool and cut in into bars.