First you’ll need:
- 1 Jamaican
- A good piece of meat with excess fat trimmed off
- Seasoned well & marinated before cooking
..and of course I was kidding about the JamaicanJ.
- 2 pound beef oxtail, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons caramel browning
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon oxtail seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon all purpose seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can butter beans, drained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Wash oxtail and trim off any excess fat
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear in small batches for about 10 minutes.
- You can either continue cooking in pressure cooker or transfer meat back to the skillet.
- If you decide to use butter beans, add in along with onions and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water, and stir into the simmering oxtail.
- Cook and stir a few minutes until the sauce has thickened, and the beans are hot and tender.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
- A slow cooker may be used instead of a pressure cooker in step 1. Simply place the browned oxtail and water into the slow cooker, and cook on Low for 10 hours, or High for 6 hours. Proceed with step 8 as stated.