An Island favorite enjoyed by many, anytime of the day. Fried plantain, otherwise known as “tostones” in Spanish is made using the same basic method of cooking, yet taste just as great as a side or as an appetizer.
1/4 cup oil for frying
1 Green Plantain, peeled and cut into pieces
(makes 2 servings)
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Place the plantains in the oil and fry on both sides; approximately 3 1/2 minutes per side.
2. Remove the plantains from the pan and flatten the plantains by placing a plate over the fried plantains and pressing down. or
3. return them to the hot oil and fry 1 minute on each side.
4. Sprinkle Salt to taste and serve immediately. (or serve with your favorite garlic sauce) yumm
· If peeling ahead of time, cut into pieces, soak in 2 cups of water with 1 teaspoon salt to keep plantain from turning brown.
· If you like thin peices then there is no need to press with plate, just cut into chips, fry, drain, sprinkle with salt and enjoy
· If you like it alittle thicker, cut into 4-6 pieces and follow directions above