Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large eggplant, about 2 pounds
Salt and pepper
1 cup tomato basil pasta sauce
Fresh basil leaves
1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/8-inch thick
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel eggplant and slice 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick.
- Lightly season each disk with olive oil, salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake the eggplant at 450 degrees F until the slices begin turning deep brown on top, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven and place them on a plate to cool
Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F, and begin assembling
- In a baking dish large enough to hold your towers
- Layer the bottom with pasta sauce
- Using the larger disk, evenly add eggplant slices to sauce
- Over each slice of eggplant, layer with:
· 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce
· 1 mozzarella slice
· 1 teaspoon of pesto
· Another tablespoon of pasta sauce
· Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top
· Add a basil leaf
· Repeat the process until the towers are complete and all the ingredients are used.
- Bake uncovered until the cheese melts and the tops turn light brown, about 10 minutes.