1 (2 pound) beef chuck roast (cut into cubes)
1 cup barley (can add more if desired)
2 bay leaf
2 tablespoon oil
3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
4 cups water
2 cups low sodium beef stock
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder1/2 teaspoon adobo (found in the Spanish seasoning section)
2 tablespoon worsheshire sauce
1 (28 ounce) can chopped stewed tomatoes
1. Sprinkle meat with paprika, worsheshire sauce, black pepper, garlic powder and adobo.
2. In a small pot heat oil and sauté meat on high just to quickly brown the sides.
3. When all the meat is brown all over, transfer it to a soup pot (stock pot or a pot large enough to hold everything), add beef broth and bay leaf, then cover the pot and let it cook until meat is very tender
4. When meat is tender, reduce heat
5. Add water, barley, vegetables, stewed tomatoes, sugar, and seasoning to taste
6. Cover the pot again, and let cook for another hour or until barley and vegetables are cooked.
This recipe is even better on the 2nd or 3rd day